Cryptic Studios is looking for exceptionally talented Senior VFX Artists to bring real-time sorcery and mayhem to the characters, creatures and world we’re creating in the Magic: The Gathering multiverse. If you like to blow things up and use smoke and mirrors to dazzle and impress, we have a place where you can channel your fascination for pyrotechnics and illusions.
Every day you could be:
- Envisioning and creating handcrafted, real-time visual effects for our newest game in development
- Collaborating with artists, designers and engineers to visualize incredible gameplay and combat powers
- Adding life and color to our worlds through atmospherics, weather and environmental effects
- Technically implementing, integrating, troubleshooting and ensuring the performance of effects in our proprietary engine
- Iterating on game assets with fellow artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques.
- Mentor junior Artist
What we'd like to see:
- Demonstrated experience and passion for creating real-time visual effects for video games
- Extensive understanding of 3D graphics, shaders, particle systems, physics, ribbons, etc.
- Excellent sense of VFX movement, animation, timing, impact and anticipation
- Ability to visualize effects without concept art and create VFX textures and materials from scratch, matching a broad range of styles
- Strong game design awareness and ability to create effects that support and communicate gameplay
- Technical aptitude and high level of comfort working with complex, node-based systems, scripts and proprietary tools
- Proven ability to create performance-minded visual effects within established budgets
- Expert level proficiency with Photoshop and 3ds Max or equivalent 2D and 3D software
- Self-motivated, with excellent communication skills and a team-player attitude
- BA or BS degree in art or equivalent work experience
- Solid foundation in traditional art, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art
- Proficiency with Houdini and/or other VFX simulation tools
- Basic understanding of animation and simple rigging
- Experience using Substance Designer/Painter in a production environment
- Passion for the Magic: The Gathering franchise
Required application materials:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating consistently brilliant, eye-catching, real-time VFX
- An art test may be required.