Cryptic Studios is looking for exceptionally talented VFX artists to bring real-time, stylized VFX to the characters, creatures, and worlds we’re creating for an exciting new original project. If you create beautiful VFX that dazzle and impress, we have a place for you here at Cryptic Studios.
Every day you could be
- Envisioning and creating handcrafted, real-time visual effects in Unreal for our newest game in development.
- Collaborating with artists, designers, and engineers to visualize incredible gameplay and combat powers.
- Adding life and color to our worlds through atmospherics, unique light sources, and environmental effects.
- Technically implementing, integrating, troubleshooting, and ensuring the performance of effects in Unreal.
- Iterating on game assets closely with the art director and other artists via paint overs, studies, and critiques.
What we'd like to see
- Demonstrated experience and passion for creating real-time visual effects for video games.
- Extensive understanding of Unreal shaders, Niagara systems, and technical setup inside Unreal.
- Excellent sense of VFX movement, animation, timing, impact and anticipation.
- Ability to visualize effects with minimal concept art and create textures and materials from scratch, matching a unique art style.
- Strong game design awareness and ability to create effects that support and communicate gameplay.
- Technical aptitude and high level of comfort working in Unreal.
- Proven ability to create performance-minded visual effects within established budgets.
- Expert level proficiency with Photoshop and 3ds Max or equivalent 2D and 3D software.
- Self-motivated, with excellent communication skills and a team-player attitude.
- BA or BS degree in art or equivalent work experience.
- Solid foundation in traditional art, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art.
- Proficiency with Houdini and/or other VFX simulation tools.
- Basic understanding of animation and simple rigging principles
- Experience using Substance Designer/Painter in a production environment
Required application materials
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating consistently brilliant, eye-catching, real-time VFX
- An art test may be required
What Cryptic Offers
- Remote Work Options - Anywhere Within The US
- A fun tight-knit team where your contributions will have a major impact
- Full-Time role
- Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
- Health Insurance & Perks: Medical, Dental, Vision
- Company social events
- Pet-Friendly Environment
Cryptic Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, marital status, age, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, genetic information, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), sexual orientation, or any other protected class, characteristic, or consideration made unlawful under applicable federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.