Cryptic Studios is looking for a talented Senior Character Artist
with the ability to consistently create compelling and aesthetically pleasing characters and creatures in any given style while adhering to polygon and console memory budget constraints. As a character artist, you will be creating high-quality 3D art assets using Photoshop and 3D Studio Max. A character artist at Cryptic Studios must understand the importance and role of character and creature art with respect to overall game play, player flow, environmental immersion, navigation and travel/movement ability.
Located in Northern California in Los Gatos, we create the fun, focused and casual atmosphere of a small developer. We actively balance our work with the personal lives of our employees. At Cryptic, we only hire the best and most talented people who love the work, the genre and the game.
Every day you could be:
- Realizing the overall artistic vision of characters/creatures based on designs, concepts or descriptions.
- Working in a team environment developing NextGen titles for PC.
- Using 3D Studio Max, Photoshop and proprietary software to create Next Gen art assets.
- Creating and troubleshooting art assets (basic to intermediate level of complexity).
- Finding internal and external references for in-game assets.
- Attending art reviews and team meetings.
What we'd like to see:
- 3-7 years in game development.
- 3-9 game titles shipped.
- Ability to take direction from the lead artist.
- Ability to give direction to other artists.
- 4-6 years experience with 3D Studio Max, Maya, XSI or other 3D software with a focus on character modeling.
- 4-6 years experience with Photoshop in a Windows-based environment.
- A demonstrated ability to consistently create compelling and aesthetically pleasing characters and creatures in any given style while adhering to polygon and console memory budget constraints.
- Knowledge of color, lighting and composition.
- Skill at modeling characters/creatures with or without concepts/designs, and display good modeling techniques and practices.
- Strong understanding character development, anatomical proportions, and physiology.
- Strong portfolio, demo reel or web site demonstrating high quality art renderings.
- 4-year degree required (or equivalent experience in relevant field)
Your Portfolio should contain:
- A minimum of 15 pieces of 3D art showing wire frame and texture maps if applying for a modeling position.
- All work shown must be in a final state, work in progress is only acceptable if the minimum amount of pieces have been satisfied.
- All work should reflect the position that you are applying for.